Stress happens in everyone’s life, and it can often cause side effects like teeth grinding, heart problems, and other issues. Teeth grinding, medically known as bruxism, can cause severe issues including the loss of teeth, over time. However, it’s possible to avoid teeth grinding and its consequences if you’re mindful of the problem and seek help promptly. Read on to learn more about teeth grinding and to get a few tips to help you avoid it.
The Signs of Teeth Grinding
Many people don’t even realize that they grind their teeth because they assume symptoms are caused by other medical issues. The signs of teeth grinding include:
- Damage to the teeth: This can include worn enamel, cracked teeth, and chipped teeth
- Chronic headaches: Sudden headaches that tend to happen daily or near-daily
- Chronic earaches: Sudden earaches that tend to happen daily or near-daily
- Sore jaw: Persistent jaw pain
- Teeth sensitivity: Sensitivity to hot or cold foods and beverages, pain while biting down, or pain while chewing
Teeth Grinding Triggers — And Their Solutions
Trying to determine the triggers of teeth grinding is important. In many situations, finding the reason behind the teeth grinding allows for efficient resolution. Here are some common triggers and their solutions.
- Stress Reduction: Stress is the most common cause of teeth grinding. There are a variety of effective solutions for stress. These can include exercise, special relaxation techniques, and medication.
- Reduce Stimulant and Depressant Intake: Reducing both stimulants and depressants like caffeine and alcohol can help you avoid teeth grinding.
- Alleviate Tension: Tension in the jaw can result in teeth grinding during the night. Before bed, apply a warm compress to the jaw just in front of the ears. Add in a gentle jaw massage for even better results.
- Custom Mouthguard: The Clayburn Dental dentists can create custom mouthguards for teeth grinding patients. The mouthguard can hold the teeth in place, allowing cushioning and protection to prevent grinding during the night. Mouthguards are comfortable and easy to wear. They fit perfectly because they’re made based upon a custom mold of your mouth.
Effective Teeth Grinding Solutions at Clayburn Dental in Abbotsford
At Clayburn Dental in Abbotsford, BC, our dentists have the experience and skills that can help you beat teeth grinding. Contact the Clayburn Dental office at 604-852-8487 or request an appointment online anytime to find out whether a custom mouthguard is the right solution for you.