Pediatric Dentist Abbotsford
What is a Pediatric Dentist?
Pediatric dentistry focuses on oral health care for infants and children to their teen years, including those with special health needs. A pediatric dentist has the experience and qualifications to care for a child’s teeth, gums and mouth throughout various stages of childhood.
What’s the Difference Between a General Dentist and a Pediatric Dentist?
All general dentists are trained in pediatric dentistry in dental school. Some general dentists are comfortable with treating small children, especially if their practice serves the entire family and they have a great relationship and knowledge of family history which may apply to the child. If a general dentist is not comfortable treating a young or special needs child, then they will make a referral to a pediatric dentist.
Pediatric dentists have completed two to three additional years of specialty training in dentistry for infants, children, teens, and children with special needs following dental school and they are focused on treating children only.
Pediatric Dentistry Functions
- Infant oral health exams and risk assessment
- Nutrition and diet assessment
- Diagnosis of oral conditions associated with various diseases such as diabetes, asthma and ADHD
- Preventive dental care (checkups and dental cleanings)
- Habit counseling (e.g. thumb sucking, pacifier use)
- Repair of tooth cavities or other defects
- Management of gum diseases and conditions (pediatric periodontal disease)
- Dental injuries (e.g. fractured, displaced, or knocked-out teeth)
- Correct malocclusion (improper bite) or bruxism (grinding) via orthodontics
Request a Pediatric Dentist Appointment
If you have questions or concerns about pediatric dentistry or to request an appointment with Clayburn Dental’s pediatric dentist in Abbotsford, give us a call today at 604-852-8487 or submit an online request form!