When you’ve got missing teeth, it can make you feel self-conscious about everything from eating to speaking. Missing teeth can also have a negative impact on the appearance, leaving gaps in the smile or leading to a sunken look in the cheeks. Dentures can give you a fresh new start on a healthy and functional smile, but if you’re new to dentures you may not be sure about how to properly care for them yet. Here are a few key denture care tips from the Clayburn Dental team.
Cleaning Your Dentures
Dentures need proper care, just like natural teeth do. It’s usually recommended that dentures are removed overnight. They can be soaked in a special denture solution or in a glass of water to keep them moist. Never use hot water to soak or clean dentures, as this can cause warping. If dentures dry out, they can shrink and crack, requiring major repair.
Brushing dentures regularly is also recommended. The dentists at Clayburn Dental may recommend a toothpaste designed especially for dentures. There are also ultrasonic cleaners that can provide a regular deep cleaning for the dentures, but they don’t replace proper daily brushing. While you’re brushing the dentures, don’t forget to care for your teeth and gums. Use a soft bristle toothbrush to gently and thoroughly clean all surfaces in the mouth prior to inserting the dentures each morning.
Denture Care Tips and Tricks
There are several important denture care tips and tricks that can ease your transition into wearing dentures. They include:
- Take your dentures out after each meal. Simply run them under cool water to loosen and remove food debris.
- Handle dentures with care, holding them lightly but firmly. Too much pressure can cause damage to the plastic or clasps.
- Rinse your dentures before placing them back in your mouth every morning. Denture solutions can cause damage to the delicate tissues in the mouth, so it’s best to avoid direct contact.
- Keep up with your regular checkups. Regular dental checkups are the ideal time for the dentist to check on denture fit and make adjustments to the dentures if needed.
- If you notice a loose fit or your dentures feel uncomfortable, call Clayburn Dental right away. Our dentists can correct denture fit to improve your comfort and make them easier to wear.
Clayburn Dental in Abbotsford Can Help With All Types of Dentures
At Clayburn Dental in Abbotsford, BC, our dentists have the knowledge and experience needed to help you get the most from your dentures. The Clayburn Dental team is ready to help with regular follow-up appointments and adjustments to the dentures to improve comfort level. Contact the Clayburn Dental office at 604-852-8487 or request an appointment online anytime to find out more about denture care.